Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The "Other Kenyans" and the Most Adorable Marathon Runner EVER

I was clicking around the ING New York City Marathon Website, and I came across the link for a Marathon charity that Edward Norton is running for, the Maasai Wilderness Conservation Trust.

There are runner profiles for the Maasai warriors who are running the NYC Marathon this year for the charity as well, most of whom have never left Kenya before in their lives. And this guy, Parashi Ntanin, he just put tears in my eyes. You have to watch the video where he shows his "running shoes." It is too much! I wish I ran fast enough to keep up with these guys, I would love to run with them. Says Parashi:

"Everyone says that I am the fastest runner in our group, but since this is my first time in a big city, I think I will try to run at the same pace as my friends so I don’t get lost." I want to hug him and make him dinner and buy him running shoes! Which reminds me, please donate your old running shoes to "Shoes 4 Africa".

Ever since I watched, "God Grew Tired of Us" I have been mildly obsessed with Africa. Now I am determined to visit Campi ya Kanzi - it has bumped the Galapagos from the top of the list, and that's saying something!

No comments:

Post a Comment