Monday, August 31, 2009

16 Miles in Boston

I love you Boston - you are so nice and flat! Running 16 miles along the Charles River almost felt like cheating, except that it was raining on me the entire time and it was still 16 whole miles, which was a personal best for me and a scary long way in general. I wore my trusty Mizuno running pants - my first "real" pair of running pants that my mom sent me in the mail way back in the beginning of training. I love them.

I was dreading this run, considering how disastrous my earlier attempt at 15 miles was (much limping involved). But many weeks of training had passed since then, and also it helped that I didn't forget my Gu (i.e. legs did not totally run out of glycogen and crap out around mile 13).

There were a lot of other crazy runners out in the rain early on Saturday morning, clearly training for distance with their little fuel belts on. Our friends Danny and Sarah took us to a great sandwich place, Darwin's, after I got done with my ice bath and hot shower, and I rewarded myself with a spinach, egg, cheese, and bacon sandwich on multigrain bread. Hey - I need the salt!

5 comments:

  1. Awesome - good job!!!!!

    I did a 1/2 Marathon in Boston along the Charles and it was amazing! Sorry about the rain though, ugh! Did your feet blister?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenna! My feet did blister a bit. Also - the sogginess in general washed away some key callouses :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. hooray! i'm so glad your run here in beantown went well. thanks to you and dimitri, again, for visiting - we loved seeing you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a great time too! I hope you guys can make it down to NYC sometime soon for a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina, you are such an awesome runner girl... I'm glad you had a great run in Boston. Of course, looking great in Mizuno running pants always helps! See you soon, Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete