Monday, August 24, 2009

Tub Full of Ice

So, one nasty side effect of my Saturday morning long runs has been that the rest of the weekend I hobble around with a lot of muscle soreness - stairs are especially painful. I'd been told that taking a post-run ice bath kills all of that. Sounded like fun!

So after this past Saturday's 13.5 mile run, I decided to test the theory, filling up our tub with two large bags of ice and cold water. OUCH! Getting in was painful - the scene was pretty pathetic, me yelling "no like no like no like no like!" over and over again while Dimitri sat on the bathroom floor and held my hand. But after 3 minutes or so of intense discomfort, I numbed out and finished out the 15 minute soak with no problem.

The rest of the weekend was amazingly pain free and I am a total ice bath convert now! Saturday's run was extra fun - since NYC shut down Park Avenue completely so that bikers and runners could use it from 7am to 1pm. We ran from 72nd street to downtown, across the Brooklyn Bridge, and back. Marathon trainees were out in droves, it was a great community feeling.

Here a link to a song I was singing in my head while running, courtesy of Indiecent Music!
Duck Sauce - Anyway

2 comments:

  1. Tina, my dear, you are a true inspiration. So lovely to be able to follow your progress. And know that I'm proudly vouching for ya, even if I am a whole hemisphere away!! You're a star. Big hugs from Australia. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Anni - one of these days I will make it to Australia - it has been too long!! NYC misses you.

    ReplyDelete